"The house we hope to build is not for my generation but for yours. It is your future that matters. And I hope that when you are my age, you will be able to say as I have been able to say: We lived in freedom. We lived lives that were a statement, not an apology."


Sunday, January 09, 2005

Our Friends The Japanese

I have posted earlier on our special and important relationship with Britain, especially with Prime Minister Tony Blair. But another special, if not equally important relationship is the one that we enjoy with Japan and their Prime Minister, Junichiro Koizumi. Describing himself as "diehard pro-American", PM Koizumi and Japan have been key allies in the War on Terror, having provided assistance in both Afghanistan and Iraq, with Tokyo extending it's mission in Iraq for another year. While other countries have buckled to terrorist beheadings of their citizens there, Japan has extended their stay and commitment to seeing democracy through there. Not too long ago Japan had to build a democracy in their own country when critics said it was impossible, which has to be a huge reason for their commitment to building democracy in the Middle East.

If nothing I have written so far convinces you of the special relationship we have with Japan, let PM Koizumi's own words when explaining his decision to send 500 Japanese troops to Iraq convince you:

"The U.S. is Japan's only ally, Japan must also be a trustworthy ally to the U.S."

We should consider ourselves lucky to have such friends by our side.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words. As long as there are people willing to read what I have to say, I'll keep on bloggin the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you would like to be a contributor to this site, I'd be more than happy to have you.

    ReplyDelete