"The house we hope to build is not for my generation but for yours. It is your future that matters. And I hope that when you are my age, you will be able to say as I have been able to say: We lived in freedom. We lived lives that were a statement, not an apology."


Monday, February 14, 2005

A Marriage Amendment That Makes Sense

Let me start out by saying that I am personally opposed to gay marriage, that I believe marriage is a sacred institution between a man and a woman, and that marriage has been under enough attack over the last couple decades without distorting it's time-old definition. Let me also state that I do support the idea of having a constitutional amendment, my only disagreement with most of my fellow Republicans is on how that amendment should be worded.

The biggest problem today is not gays getting married, it is the arbitrary actions of activists on the bench and renegade mayors. Trying to legislate their own beliefs on the rest of us, these courts and individuals are shamelessly disregarding the will of the people and subsequently the concept of democracy. Simply put, these entities are defying the rule of law.

The amendment proposed by the president and supported by congressional Republicans does not address this problem. Instead of directly outlawing gay marriage, a new amendment should address the problems I stated above. Here in America it is the will of the people, not the tyranny of a few, that dictates this country's laws. If future generations of Americans decide that gay marriage should be allowed than they should not have an amendment preventing that conviction from coming to fruition.

The will of the people should always carry the day, which is why we should pass an amendment that doesn't outlaw gay marriage, but rather states that gay marriage can only be legalized by a majority vote in that state's legislature or by state referendum. This amendment insures that current and future generation's views are respected, and that issues of this importance are taken away from unelected judges and runaway executives once and for all.

Our Republican leadership is right that we need a constitutional amendment, we should just have one that actually addresses the problem.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:34 AM

    Isn't this covered in the 10th Ammendment?

    "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

    It seems that the Supreme Court doesn't listen to the Constitution anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you cracker, missed your comments and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I know how you feel, I'm trying to get all my college entrance stuff taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I despise people that are too lazy to sign their posts, I'm with Anonymous on this one.

    But the 10th does have a problem with it though. It does not trump the "full faith and credit" clause of the Constitution. And therein lies the problem. The "full faith and credit" clause is what judicial activists have been using to force gay marriage on other states.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:09 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete