"The house we hope to build is not for my generation but for yours. It is your future that matters. And I hope that when you are my age, you will be able to say as I have been able to say: We lived in freedom. We lived lives that were a statement, not an apology."


Sunday, January 09, 2005

Newt For Prez?

Supposedly Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich is considering a run for the Oval Office in '08. Whether this is pure speculation meant to drive up interest in his upcoming book or valid consideration on Mr. Gingrich's part is unclear. But if the former Speaker is considering a run, I hope he understands the odds that are stacked against him. For one, he is a rather unsympathetic figure, and he personifies the compassionless Republican image that the current President tried to fight when he first ran for president in 2000, i.e. "compassionate conservatism". Secondly, he'll have been out of public office for about ten years when '08 comes around, meaning Mr. Gingrich will have to beat more current public figures in both the primary and general election.

Mr. Gingrich is a very intelligent man and I'm sure he understands these challenges, which is why I doubt that he is seriously considering a run for the presidency. When choosing a nominee, Republicans should first look at the governor pool, and Mitt Romney is a guy who strikes me as an intriguing possibility at this early juncture.

UPDATE (1:15 P.M.) Mr. Gingrich addresses the presidential speculation surrounding him on FOX News Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment