"The house we hope to build is not for my generation but for yours. It is your future that matters. And I hope that when you are my age, you will be able to say as I have been able to say: We lived in freedom. We lived lives that were a statement, not an apology."


Thursday, December 23, 2004

Bush to Re-nominate Blocked Judges

President Bush has declared his intent to re-nominate 20 judges that had been blocked by Senate Democrats in the past congress, further showcasing his political genius. This move puts Democrats between a rock and a hard place. They can re-block the judges and subsequently put in serious jeopardy the five Democratic Senators in red states who are up for re-election in '06, going the same path of Tom Daschle. Or, they can decide to let the judges receive an up or down vote and upset the far left-wing of the party.

If I was Harry Reid I would choose the latter, Democrats have done poorly the last two elections since 9/11 because they have pandered too much to their left-wing. To get competitive they need to stop the obstruction and move towards the center, especially if they want to win in red states. However, judging by the pandering to the far left that the Democrats have done in the recent past, my guess is that they will do the wrong thing and block the judges. Only time will tell though.

No comments:

Post a Comment