"The house we hope to build is not for my generation but for yours. It is your future that matters. And I hope that when you are my age, you will be able to say as I have been able to say: We lived in freedom. We lived lives that were a statement, not an apology."


Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Intel Reform Passes

The Intel Reform Bill passed the House yesterday and the Senate today, and is now on it's way to the president's desk. As I stated in an earlier post, this bill is a bad idea and doesn't make a whole lot of sense. House Republicans, primarily Rep. Duncan Hunter, withdrew their rejections when new language was included in the bill to insure that the troops on the ground will have access to necessary intel on the battlefield, which they wouldn't have had under the previous language. We can take some solace from this development at least, but the overall bill still seems like bad law to me.

One objection that wasn't addressed in this bill however, was the deal with giving driver's licenses to illegal aliens, something that was, and still is, a major concern of Rep. Sennsennbrenner. I have mixed feelings on this. While on the one hand I certainly object to handing out legal recognition to those who don't respect our laws, I just don't like the idea of the federal government telling the individual states what to do. Call me an old-fashioned conservative, but that just rubs me the wrong way.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:16 PM

    Concerning illegal aliens obtaining drivers' licenses, how would it be a bad thing for the Federal Government to tell states what NOT to do? I'm only trying to gain information here. I have not yet learned enough pertaining to states rights vs. the government to have a strong opinion on the matter. I'm opposed to illegal immigrants having American drivers' licenses as well, but I would like to understand your objection and reasoning as to why the Federal Government telling the states what to do concerning this matter would be a bad thing. Are you concerned that it could lead to the government having too much control over other matters? Such as? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My biggest concern with the Federal Government telling states what or what not to do is that it sets a dangerous precedent. Just looking back at history, the boys in Washington have been known to overstep their boundaries before, and thats when states are saddled with problems like unfunded mandates and such. I don't think I would necessarily object to the Federal Government outlawing licenses for illegals, but in general I oppose the national government saddling the states governments with regulations and rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:14 PM

    Okay, I agree with it setting a precedent with would probably be a bad thing. Thanks for responding so promptly. As I said before, I don't know enough of the history and/or knowledge of states rights versus the governments to have a clear, strong opinion on it but I do appreciate you sharing your perspective. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete