"The house we hope to build is not for my generation but for yours. It is your future that matters. And I hope that when you are my age, you will be able to say as I have been able to say: We lived in freedom. We lived lives that were a statement, not an apology."


Friday, December 31, 2004

Grooming Brother Jeb

There has been a lot of speculation that the reason President Bush sent his brother, Florida Governor Jeb Bush, to South Asia to evaluate the damage down there as part of a U.S. delegation headed by Secretary Colin Powell is to groom him for the GOP nomination in '08. There might be some truth to this, but I have to take Governor Bush at his word when he says he's not interested in running. Also, I don't know how receptive the country would be to another Bush Administration directly after his brother's two terms. If Jeb wants to run, he should probably wait until 2012 or 2016, because I do think he would make a very good president judging by his record in Florida.

I think the real reason the president sent his brother down is to demonstrate how concerned he is with the crisis down there. Sending a member of one's own family gives the message to those observing that you are deeply concerned and involved in the situation. Sending Governor Bush down was a good move by the president.

No comments:

Post a Comment