"The house we hope to build is not for my generation but for yours. It is your future that matters. And I hope that when you are my age, you will be able to say as I have been able to say: We lived in freedom. We lived lives that were a statement, not an apology."


Sunday, October 02, 2005

Public Opinion-The National Judiciary

A new poll released by the American Bar Association shows strong public dissatisfaction with the national judiciary. While I do agree that the judiciary is certainly out of control in many respects, I don’t agree with some of the other sentiments expressed in this poll. For example, "[a] majority of survey respondents agreed with statements that ‘judicial activism’ has reached the crisis stage, and that judges who ignore voters’ values should be impeached".

If judges are to simply stay in line with "voters’ values" and should be impeached if they fail to do so than the dividing line between the judicial branch and the other two political branches no longer exists. Judges must follow the letter and text of the law; following public opinion will only further the current problem.

Hat Tip: Confirm Them

No comments:

Post a Comment