"The house we hope to build is not for my generation but for yours. It is your future that matters. And I hope that when you are my age, you will be able to say as I have been able to say: We lived in freedom. We lived lives that were a statement, not an apology."


Monday, January 09, 2006

Pence For Majority Leader

I’ve made my dissatisfaction with Rep. Tom Delay’s tenure as House Majority Leader known, and I am pleased that he will not be re-assuming his leadership duties if and when he settles his legal issues in Texas.

From this point forward House Republicans should resolve themselves to finding a leader who will embody the principles of limited, honest, and accountable government that all Republicans should represent. They have not of late and it is about time they did. For far too long our values have not reflected our actions.

The ideal replacement for Rep. Delay would be, in my estimation, Mike Pence of Indiana. Rep. Pence chairs the Republican Study Committee, devoted to advancing the principles of "a limited and Constitutional role for the federal government." He has received an 89% score from Citizens Against Government Waste and The Washington Post has described him as someone who delivers "conservative opinions with the even tones and polite demeanor of his Midwest upbringing."

At a time when the House Republican conference looks and acts increasingly more arrogant and unaccountable, these are the exact kind of traits House Republicans should be looking for in their next leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment