"The house we hope to build is not for my generation but for yours. It is your future that matters. And I hope that when you are my age, you will be able to say as I have been able to say: We lived in freedom. We lived lives that were a statement, not an apology."


Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Goodbye Shelby Foote

Since fifth grade one of my great interests has been American history, especially the American Civil War. I have always been transfixed by that period, one of our nation's most trying and defining times, and better understanding the Civil War has given me an added perspective and context when looking at contemporary issues that would have been previously absent. Though there have been many great works written on the Civil War, the best I have come across has been the Civil War trilogy by Shelby Foote. His excellent use of historical narrative and astonishing depth of knowledge (if the reader didn't know better they'd think Mr. Foote had actually been there) have given me great pleasure and inspiration, and his works have encouraged me to learn all I can on the subject.

It is because of this and other reasons that I looked upon the news of his death today with great sadness. In the coming months and years I look forward to finishing up his Civil War epic and further enjoying his contribution to the Ken Burns Civil War series. Though Mr. Foote is no longer with us, his contribution to Civil War scholarship will continue for many years to come.


Hat Tip: Polipundit

No comments:

Post a Comment